The government knew there was no hack before Gabriel Makhlouf made his public statements last week:
. . . The Government’s spy agency made urgent calls to the Beehive before Makhlouf’s public statement – we reveal today what they told at least one senior Government Minister. The new details come as Makhlouf faces a State Services Commission investigation over the way he handled claims the website had been hacked. It later transpired that Budget details could be uncovered using the Treasury’s search engine.
The Government Communications Security Bureau phoned the Beehive last week in a desperate 11th-hour bid to stop Treasury Secretary Gabriel Makhlouf from saying publicly that his department had been hacked, the Herald understands.
But it was too late.
The GCSB had already told the Treasury that it did not believe its computer system had been compromised.
The GCSB was sent a copy of Makhlouf’s statement just before it was due to be released on Tuesday night last week. . .
This just gets messier and messier and needs a wider inquiry than just the States Services Commissioner’s one which won’t ask questions of Ministers.