The boots are several years old, but still comfortable and until recently still in good repair.
But the last time I took them off I noticed a gap developing between the sole and the upper.
I could have used it as an excuse to get a new pair but my Presbyterian upbringing wouldn’t let me do that.
Instead I found some glue, applied it, weighted the boot down to encourage the adhesive adhere, and it did.
The sole and upper now look to be bonded, although whether the fix is water-proof, only time will tell.
In the meantime, my boots are restored to normal use and, at least until it rains, I’m grateful for that.