A few, very polite protesters against voluntary student union membership stood at the entry to the National Party’s conference on Saturday.
“We’re not protesting, we just want you to consider our views,” one told me.
One of the justifications for compulsory membership is that those who really don’t want to belong can opt out.
Mydeaology writes about just how easy that is:
It is easy to opt out. All you need to do is:
- 5 months in advance, start your own blog which, amongst other things, openly and honestly criticises the association you wish to opt out from.
- Approach them formally 4 months in advance with alternative suggestions as to how they could change their Membership Policy to make opting out easier.
- Publicly highlight how hard it is to opt out under their current rules.
- Apply to opt out, and even suggest how they can make this happen without breaking any rules.
- Make a lot of noise about the whole process until something actually happens.
That’s easy, isn’t it?