Monday’s questions were:
1. What does Otakou/Otago mean?
2. Who wrote The Man Whose Mother Was A Pirate?
3. What does the Plimsol line indicate?
4. People who suffer from atelophobia are afraid of what?
5. What does q.e.d. (quod erat demonstrandum) mean?
Points for answers:
Kismet got three and, given some of the answers which followed a bonus for keeping a straight face.
Bearhunter and Angela get electornic bouquets for getting five right and a bonus for that achievement.
Gravedodger got one and bonuses for lateral thinking, humour and imagaination.
Andrei got three right; in the interests of fairness can have a straight face bonus too and another for the maths.
David got two with bonuses for extra information and a straight face.
PDM got one and bonuses for lateral thinking, nearly straight face and like me getting lost in the algebra.
Paul got three with a bonus for lateral thinking.
Tuesday’s answers follow the break:
1. The place of red earth. A.W. Reed’s Dictinary of MaorPlace Names says the Otago Peninsual abounded in yellow earth which yielded red ochre when burnt.
2. Margaret Mahy.
3. The official safe load for a ship.
5. Thus proved.