*Walking 3 kilomteres up Castle Hill in Townsville when it’s 28 degrees with 90% humidity is harder than walking about 1/3 that distance up Mount Iron in Wanaka when it’s 20 degrees with 0 humidity.
* Australia has insects which bite, even when you’re moving.
* The bites itch.
* Drinking lots of water and sweating lots without compensating for what you’re losing can lead to cramp.
* Walking down hill with cramp in one thigh isn’t a lot of fun.
* Getting cramp in the other thigh makes it worse.
* There’s a great sense of satisfaction when you’ve done it.
* Doing it the second day without the cramp feels even better.
* Doing it the third day is better still, in spite of the blisters.