My initial reaction to the news that Winston Peters may be considering a political come back was one of horror.
Then I remembered:
* He still owes the taxpayer $158,000, the amount of public money New Zealand First wrongly used to fund its 2005 election campaign.
* No-one knows how much if any of the money he said New Zealand First gave to charity, instead of repaying the public, actually went to charity, and if it did which causes it went to.
* This is the man who lied about Owen Glenn.
* This is the man who pretended his party was funded by little donations when it wasn’t.
* This is the man who said he wouldn’t be wooed by the baubles of office but was, and continued as the Minister with Baubles after he was sacked.
The list could go on, but having remembered all that I relaxed. There can’t be enough people in New Zealand who could overlook all that and vote for the man. Or could there?