One of the less pleasant aspects of life in the country is the autumn influx of mice. Our house is supposed to be mouse-proof but it’s not. One year we caught eight, and a tail before I got ruthless and laid poison. So far this year we’ve trapped five.
I prefer traps (baited with peanut butter) to poison because with the latter you don’t know they’re dead until they start smelling and it’s not always easy to find the carcases.
While I’m not keen on mice I’m even less enthusiastic about rats but (touch wood) have not had to deal with any of those inside. A neighbour reckons the trick is to lay lots of poison and get them before they come inside – and it seems to work, a couple of years ago she found 15 dead rats in the outside bath.