Thursday’s questions were:
1. Who said, “A resolution to avoid an evil is seldom framed till the evil is so far advanced as to make avoidance impossible.“?
2. Who died while in command of HMS Resolution?
3. It’s résoudre in French, risolvere in Italian, resolver in Spanish and pūtohe in Maori, what is it in English.
4. New Year resolutions – do you make them, keep them, break them?
5. If you could make a New Year’s resolution for someone else, what would it be for whom?
Points for answers:
There were no incorrect answers to #4 & 5.
Andrei got 4.
Alwyn wins an electronic batch of New Year shortbread with 5 right.
Grant got 4.
Richard got 4, too – and yes I know there were other Resolutions but am reasonably sure only Cook died in command of one.
PDM got 3.
Answers follow the break:
1. Thomas Hardy.
2. Captain James Cook.
5. To offer some healthy choices on menus – all restaurateurs.