Adam Smith started it at Inquiring Mind with
1 Bluff Oysters in batter
3 Meat Pie
4 ANZAC Biscuits
5 Colonial Goose
6 Mince on toast
7 Whitebait fritters
9 Blue cod & chips
10 Whitestone cheese
Adolf carried it on at No Minister with:
1. Roast lamb (Merino/South Suffolk cross – killed at 14 months) and mint sauce, accompanied by steamed new potaoes, fresh green peas and sweet corn on the cob, all with lashings of butter.
2. Carefully prepared Maori hangi – pork, mutton, potato, kumara, beet root, puha.
3. Steamed pipi, cockles and kutai (mussels) with lots of fresh bread and butter.
4. Steamed Tarakihi or Hapuka with mashed potato and kumara (combined) and plenty of fresh greens. Plenty of salt and cracked black pepper along with lemon juice over the fish.
5. An eighteen inch long slab of sirloin steak, turned on the char grill for forty minutes while continually basted in a brew compising red wine, worchester sauce, tomato sauce, hot chilli sauce, garlic, soy sauce, balsamic viegar and any thing else which gets in the road. Black on the outside, nipple pink in the middle. Char grilled vegies on the side.
6. Steam pudding with custard sauce.
7. Roast chicken with roast vegies and silver beet. Lotsa gravy.
8. Bacon and eggs with baked beans and tomato.
9. TipTop Icecream
10. KFC for South Aucklanders.
And my list, based on the food I miss most when out of the country, in no particular order is:
1. Vogels bread, toasted with cottage cheese and kiwi fruit or vegemite, cottage cheese and tomato.
2. Hokey pokey ice cream.
3. Pavlova topped with cream and kiwifruit.
4. Lamb backstraps, topped with grainy mustard and soy sauce, grilled until still pink, served with broccoli, carrots, roasted red onion and kumera.
5. Blue cod from Fleurs Place.
6. Waitaki Valley strawberries.
7. Central Otago apricots and peaches.
8. Totara Lowlands cherries.
10. Fresh asaparagus with Whitestone Windsor Blue cheese.
And an extra one: my favourite childhood dinner (which I probably haven’t had for more than 30 years): Roast mutton with roast potatoes, mint sauce, gravy and mashed swedes.